|Title:||Senior Civil Engineer PE|
|Job Location:||Virginia Beach, VA; Richmond, VA; or Raleigh, NC|
Position Open: September 20, 2018
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
Generous benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Paid Time Off, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.
We seek to hire a Senior Civil Engineer PE in our Virginia Beach, VA; Richmond, VA; or Raleigh, NC offices will be responsible for performing and directing civil engineering duties on multi-discipline building design projects of moderate to large scope, and projects that involve only civil engineering.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing civil engineering duties as a Senior Civil Engineer including analysis and design involving utilities, roadways, site grading, stormwater management, erosion control, and site plan preparation; supervising and directing the work of Civil Engineers and EI/EIT’s assigned to the project; coordination with other design disciplines; managing the production of contract documents; and satisfying project budget and schedule requirements
- Concurrently leading several projects of moderate complexity and scope when required by schedule and/or resource constraints
- Meeting with clients to prepare and/or validate proposed scope of services
- Managing the Civil portion of multi-discipline projects and working with assigned Project Managers to meet project budget, schedule, goals, and objectives
- Coordinating, supervising, and communicating all aspects of the Civil design within multi-discipline teams to ensure that civil design details integrate properly with all other disciplines
- Communication with the Contractor on Design-Build projects to verify suitability of systems and materials selected
- Managing and supervising Civil support services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments and opening and tabulating bids
- Managing and supervising Civil support services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings
- Ensuring staff compliance with quality control policies and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Managing Principals, Project Managers, Design Managers, Operations Directors and senior management.
- Assist in presenting projects to clients, contractors, project team members, Authorities Having Jurisdiction, and members of the public through all stages of the project
- Actively support Company marketing and business development activities
- Establish and maintain positive client relationships
- Provide technical guidance to Civil staff
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of Civil staff
- Assisting Department Director and Department Head in developing new and/or revised processes and procedures
- Representing the Department Head (DH) when the DH is unavailable
- Leading staff training sessions
- Providing input to Department Head on staff annual performance reviews
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing Project Manager duties as assigned
- Serve in the role of Design Manager on projects as assigned
- Responsible for discipline design and documentation
- Develop discipline design approach and methodology
- Develop discipline project plan and production methodology
- Preparing accurate, complete, and code-compliant Civil drawings and specifications for schematic, design development, and construction document submittals.
- Reviewing calculations and all work products produced by Civil engineers and Civil EI/EIT’s assigned to the project, particularly analysis and design assumptions and input data, and output results
- Reviewing all drawings produced by Civil technicians assigned to the project
- Preparing scope and fee proposals for the Civil portion of multi-discipline projects or single-discipline, Civil-only projects
- Assist MP and PM in development of project proposals, budgets & schedules
- Perform discipline QA/QC reviews on assigned projects
- Review and approve discipline specifications
- Respond to RFI’s, Dr Check comments, etc.
- Lead discipline bidding and construction administration activities
- Back-check discipline QC/gray team comments
- Monitor and adhere to project budget and schedule
- Graduation from an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-year engineering program in one of the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Civil, Environmental and Infrastructure Engineering
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Post-graduate degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering-related degree may be given additional consideration
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must be a fully licensed Engineer in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction
- NCEES record to facilitate licensure through reciprocity is preferred
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices with LEED AP accreditation preferred
- Additional certifications such as PTOE, CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process
- Active participation in NSPE, ASCE or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Senior Civil Engineer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to understand the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with the support staff in their use of the software is highly desirable.
A Senior Civil Engineer should typically have 10 years or more of significant design and practice experience in a leadership role with a Civil Engineering firm or a multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm. Experience with analysis and design involving utilities, roadways, site grading, stormwater management, erosion control, and site plan preparation is desirable.
Experience as a lead designer or Civil Engineer in federal, state, municipal, healthcare, commercial, higher education or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents and correspondence.
- Ability to make effective presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Be dedicated to the advancement of the engineering profession
- Possess demonstrated ability to lead by example, teaching and mentoring younger staff and working well with others in a team environment