|Title:||Fire Protection Engineer Graduate or EIT|
|Job Location:||Virginia Beach, VA|
|Department:||Fire Protection Engineering|
Position Open: June 15, 2021
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through website at www.clarknexsen.com.
When you come to work for Clark Nexsen, you’ll experience a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment where big thinking is encouraged. We are a national, integrated architecture and engineering firm, but we believe that our role in making the world better isn’t limited to design. Our vision and values drive our culture, our work, and our commitment to giving back to our communities through volunteerism and charitable giving.
With 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas, our people shape the future by discovering opportunities to transform the way we live in and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performing projects for U.S. and global clients.
We offer generous compensation and benefits, including health, dental, vision, 401k, short and long term disability, paid time off, Aflac, flexible benefits, and legal resources. To learn more about our culture and expertise, please visit www.clarknexsen.com.
We seek to hire a Fire Protection Engineer Graduate or EIT in our Virginia Beach, VA office who will perform fire protection engineering services on multi-discipline building design projects of small to large scope for commercial and government facilities, as well as single discipline fire protection engineering projects of small to large scope.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Preparation of programming documents, schematic documents, design development documents, and construction documents as directed
- Performing various aspects of fire protection engineering on projects, or portions of projects, as directed by a Fire Protection Engineer or Senior Fire Protection Engineer and in conformance with the applicable zoning ordinances, standards and specifications.
- Working closely with the Fire Protection Engineer or Senior Fire Protection Engineer to develop a thorough understanding of the fundamentals of fire protection engineering
- Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
- Performing various duties associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments and opening and tabulating bids as directed
- Performing various duties associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings as directed
- Complying with quality control policies and procedures
- Learn and implement department and company standards
- Participating in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Actively participate in education, mentoring and IDP programs
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from the Department Director, Project Manager, Design Manager, Senior Fire Protection Engineer and senior management
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform Fire Protection Engineer or Senior Fire Protection Engineer tasks as directed
- Completing sections and details produced to a schematic-level of completion by a Fire Protection Engineer or Senior Fire Protection Engineer
- Creating schematic-level fire protection systems design of low to moderate complexity
- Assisting in the development of an accurate, three-dimensional model of the structure with the necessary level of detail using the required Building Information Modeling (BIM) software package, when BIM is a project requirement
- Develop design options for resolution of system conflicts
- Assist with building systems calculations and LEED templates
- Participate in building system selections
- Participate in building and/or life safety code analysis process
- Assist with discipline drawing coordination
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Protection Engineering from an ABET accredited curriculum or a post-graduate degree in Fire Protection Engineering (preferred)
- Bachelor of Science from an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-year engineering program in Mechanical Engineering
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Completed or be in a position to complete the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam and all other state requirements for certification as an EIT is preferred.
- Ability to complete all requirements for PE licensure within 60 months after being hired is preferred.
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices and pursuing LEED AP accreditation is desirable.
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process.
- Active membership in NSPE, SFPE, NFPA or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Fire Protection Engineer Graduate or EIT should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Working familiarity with design/production and fire protection analysis software to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
- Successful completion of at least one student internship is desirable.
- Prior experience in an Engineering or multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm is desirable.
- Familiarity with applicable building codes and standards is desirable.
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
- Possess technical precision and creative design skills
- Ability to make effective presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole