|Title:||Bridge CADD Designer|
|Job Location:||Virginia Beach, VA|
Position Open: June 2, 2021
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through website at www.clarknexsen.com.
When you come to work for Clark Nexsen, you’ll experience a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment where big thinking is encouraged. We are a national, integrated architecture and engineering firm, but we believe that our role in making the world better isn’t limited to design. Our vision and values drive our culture, our work, and our commitment to giving back to our communities through volunteerism and charitable giving.
With 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas, our people shape the future by discovering opportunities to transform the way we live in and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performing projects for U.S. and global clients.
We offer generous compensation and benefits, including health, dental, vision, 401k, short and long term disability, paid time off, Aflac, flexible benefits, and legal resources. To learn more about our culture and expertise, please visit www.clarknexsen.com.
We seek to hire a Bridge CADD Designer in our Virginia Beach, VA office who will be responsible for assisting in various aspects of the engineering portion of a bridge project while working under the supervision and guidance of a licensed Bridge Engineer (PE).
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing various design services as a Designer, including conceptual studies, calculations, system selection and layout for bridge design with minimal direction from supervising staff.
- Providing oversight and coordination of projects, and working with assigned Design Managers and Project Managers, to meet client’s budget, contract fees, goals, objectives, and deadlines
- Coordinating and communicating all aspects of structural design within multi- disciplinary teams as requested by the Bridge Engineer or Design Manager
- Supervising and mentoring EI/EIT’s and CADD technicians
- Complying with quality control practices and procedures
- Providing support services during the bidding process, i.e., preparing addenda and amendments as directed
- Performing construction phase services including representing the firm on-site, answering RFI’s, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings as directed
- Performing other responsibilities as assigned by the Senior Bridge Engineer, Bridge Engineers, Senior Bridge Designer, Project Managers, Department Heads, Principals and senior management
- Serving as a mentor to entry-level Bridge EI/EIT’s who are unfamiliar with the production of contract drawings
- Participate in field inspections to include bridge safety inspections and structural condition assessments.
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform Bridge Design tasks as directed
- Responsible for document organization and clarity
- Responsible for discipline drawing coordination
- Performing substructure and superstructure analysis and design
- Develop recommendations regarding selection and layout of the substructure and superstructure systems, including consideration of alternative systems
- Create schematic-level plans and details for approval by the Bridge Engineer
- Develop design options for resolution of system conflicts
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
- Assist in field inspections to include bridge safety inspections and structural condition assessments
- Have earned a high school diploma, or equivalent, and completed coursework in AutoCAD, or Microstation from a technical or vocational school; or
- An Associate’s Degree in a field of study related to drafting and design; or
- A four-year undergraduate degree in a field of study related to structural engineering
- Applicable Autodesk or Bentley certifications – not mandatory
- Active membership in drafting or modeling-related organizations (local or web-based) is preferred
A Bridge CADD Designer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Working familiarity with Microstation, AutoCad and design/production software to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
A Bridge CADD Designer should typically have 8 years or more of significant A/E consulting experience as a CAD Technician, or Designer working on bridge related projects under the supervision and guidance of a licensed Structural Engineer (PE). In addition, experience with the major structural materials (concrete, pre-stressed concrete, structural steel and wood) and will have a demonstrated commitment to producing correct, complete, and coordinated construction documents.
Experience in federal, state and municipal projects plus experience in Design/Build project delivery methods is desirable.
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents and correspondence.
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a client-oriented attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole