|Title:||Transportation Engineer Graduate or EIT|
|Job Location:||Virginia Beach, VA; Richmond, VA; or Vienna, VA|
Position Open: February 14, 2020
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
Generous benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Paid Time Off, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.
We seek to hire a Transportation Engineer Graduate or EIT in our Virginia Beach, VA, Richmond, VA or Vienna, VA offices who will be responsible for assisting in various aspects of the transportation engineering projects while working under the supervision and guidance of a licensed Engineer (PE). Typical responsibilities include tasks associated with designing roadways, streetscapes, multimodal improvements, traffic improvements, traffic engineering and planning studies, and other associated infrastructure components. This person will work in stand-alone and multi-discipline design teams supervised by senior engineers and project managers on projects of small to medium scope.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing various aspects of Transportation design as directed by a Transportation Engineer or Senior Transportation Engineer including analysis and design involving interstates and interchanges, urban and rural roadways, multimodal improvements, traffic engineering, site grading, storm water management, erosion control, and site plan preparation, and design related to a business development activity such as a response to a Request for Proposal (RFP).
- Preparation of programming documents, schematic documents, design development documents, and construction documents as directed
- Coordination and communication with design team members to ensure the Transportation design details integrate properly with the work of all other project disciplines
- Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
- Performing Transportation services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments and opening and tabulating bids as directed
- Performing Transportation services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings as directed
- Complying with quality control policies and procedures
- Participating in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Researching standards and specifications based on project requirements
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Senior Transportation Engineers, Project Managers and Design Managers
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform Transportation Engineer tasks as directed
- Responsible for document organization and clarity
- Responsible for discipline drawing coordination
- Traffic engineering and planning studies
- Traffic related tasks for intersection projects, corridor projects, and other large scale transportation projects.
- Completing sections and details produced to a schematic-level of completion by the Transportation Engineer
- Creating schematic-level layout and grading plans for projects of low to moderate complexity
- Creating schematic level roadway layout and grading plans
- Development of manual calculations and analytical models for transportation analysis and design purposes
- Participate in developing a model of the site design and utilities in GeoPak and/or Civil 3D
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
- May require travel
- Graduate of an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-year engineering program in one of the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Civil, Environmental and Infrastructure Engineering
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Post-graduate degree in Transportation Engineering or Traffic Engineering-related degree may be given additional consideration
*Candidates who expect to graduate by June 1, 2020 are eligible to apply for this position.
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Completed or be in a position to complete the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam and all other state requirements for certification as an EI/EIT is preferred.
- Ability to complete all requirements for PE licensure within 60 months after being hired is preferred.
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices and pursuing Envision and/or LEED AP accreditation is desirable
- Active membership in ITE, VASITE, ASHE, NSPE, ASCE or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Transportation Engineer Graduate or EIT should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
- Successful completion of at least one student internship is desirable.
- Prior experience in an Engineering or multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm is desirable.
- Familiarity with applicable standards is desirable.
- Previous experience with roadway and infrastructure design may be given additional consideration
- Previous experience with traffic operations, microsimulation, and travel demand forecasting may be given additional consideration.
- Working knowledge of traffic engineering programs such as VISSIM, Synchro, and Transmodeler may be given additional consideration.
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents and correspondence.
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a client-oriented attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Be dedicated to the advancement of the engineering profession