|Job Location:||Virginia Beach, VA|
Position Open: June 23, 2021
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through website at www.clarknexsen.com.
When you come to work for Clark Nexsen, you’ll experience a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment where big thinking is encouraged. We are a national, integrated architecture and engineering firm, but we believe that our role in making the world better isn’t limited to design. Our vision and values drive our culture, our work, and our commitment to giving back to our communities through volunteerism and charitable giving.
With 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas, our people shape the future by discovering opportunities to transform the way we live in and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performing projects for U.S. and global clients.
We offer generous compensation and benefits, including health, dental, vision, 401k, short and long term disability, paid time off, Aflac, flexible benefits, and legal resources. To learn more about our culture and expertise, please visit www.clarknexsen.com.
We seek to hire a Senior Architect in our Virginia Beach, VA office who will be responsible for performing, directing and supervising all aspects of architectural design services on multi-discipline building design projects of moderate to large scope for commercial and government facilities. The ideal candidate will have experience in federal, Department of Defense, Department of State, or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build project delivery method.
By virtue of the knowledge and experience gained during their years of practice a Senior Architect will be capable of bringing their design talents and organizational skills to bear on their assigned projects. They shall serve as a role model and mentor to the architectural support staff and also participate in corporate activities to improve the design quality of our projects and the processes and procedures used during the design, documentation, and construction administration activities of a project. They shall also be actively involved in the marketing and business development activities of the company and develop strong professional and personal relationships with our clients, contractors, and consultants to foster repeat business.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing all aspects of architectural design as a Senior Architect, including conceptual studies, programming, schematic documents, design development documents, and construction documents
- Concurrently leading several projects of moderate complexity and scope when required by schedule and/or resource constraints
- Meeting with clients to prepare and/or validate proposed scope of services
- Assist in presenting projects to clients, contractors, project team members, AHJ’s, and members of the public through all stages of the project
- Managing the architectural portion of multi-discipline projects and working with assigned Project Managers to meet project budget, schedule, goals, and objectives
- Coordinating, supervising, and communicating all aspects of the architectural design within multi-discipline teams to ensure that architectural design details integrate properly with all other disciplines
- Communication with the Contractor on Design-Build projects to verify suitability of systems selected
- Directing and supervising the work of Architects, Interns, and Designers assigned to the project,
- Managing and supervising architectural support services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments and opening and tabulating bids
- Managing and supervising architectural support services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings
- Ensuring staff compliance with quality control policies and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Managing Principals, Project Managers, Design Managers, and senior management
- Actively support Company marketing and business development activities
- Establish and maintain positive client relationships
- Provide technical guidance to architectural staff
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of architectural staff
- Assisting Department Director and Department Head in developing new and/or revised processes and procedures
- Representing the Managing Principal, Project Manager, or Department Head when they are unavailable
- Leading staff training sessions
- Providing input to Department Head on staff annual performance reviews
- Performing Project Manager duties as assigned
- Serve in the role of Design Manager on projects as assigned
- Responsible for discipline design and documentation
- Responsible for discipline coordination of plans and specifications
- Develop discipline design approach and methodology
- Develop discipline project plan and production methodology
- Responsible for establishing discipline sustainable design approach
- Create and maintain project architectural design notebook
- Confirm project planning & program requirements
- Develop building systems analysis & selection
- Establish building envelope design components
- Establish building & site control dimensions
- Prepare scope and fee proposals for project architectural services
- Assist MP and PM in development of project proposals, budgets & schedules
- Review and approve discipline code analysis prepared by design team
- Review and approve discipline specifications prepared by the design team
- Respond to RFI’s, Dr Check comments, etc.
- Lead discipline bidding and construction administration activities
- Perform discipline QA/QC reviews on assigned projects
- Back-check discipline QC team comments
- Monitor and adhere to project budget & schedule
- May require domestic and foreign travel
- Bachelor of Architecture from an NAAB-accredited program -or-
- Masters of Architecture (MA must be from an NAAB-accredited program)
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must be a fully licensed Architect in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction
- NCARB certified to facilitate licensure through reciprocity is preferred
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices with LEED AP accreditation preferred
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process
A Senior Architect should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software such as Revit and Rhino 3D to a point of being able to understand the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with the support staff in their use of the software is highly desirable.
A Senior Architect should typically have 10 years or more of significant design and practice experience in a leadership role with an architectural firm or a multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm.
Experience as a lead designer or Architect in federal, state, municipal, healthcare, commercial, higher education or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
- Possess technical and design skills with a demonstrated desire and ability to evaluate new ideas, technologies and systems
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a client-oriented attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Posses demonstrated ability to lead by example, teaching and mentoring younger staff and working well with others as a leader in a team environment
Selection will be based on your application, resume, and portfolio. In order to be considered, you will need to submit a portfolio with your application according to the following parameters:
- Single file in PDF format
- Maximum File Size:10 MB
- No page limits, provided that the file size restrictions are met
- Portfolios must be submitted electronically. We will NOT accept or consider hard copy portfolios.