|Title:||Senior Bridge Engineer PE|
|Job Location:||Virginia Beach, VA|
Position Open: June 2, 2021
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through website at www.clarknexsen.com.
When you come to work for Clark Nexsen, you’ll experience a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment where big thinking is encouraged. We are a national, integrated architecture and engineering firm, but we believe that our role in making the world better isn’t limited to design. Our vision and values drive our culture, our work, and our commitment to giving back to our communities through volunteerism and charitable giving.
With 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas, our people shape the future by discovering opportunities to transform the way we live in and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performing projects for U.S. and global clients.
We offer generous compensation and benefits, including health, dental, vision, 401k, short and long term disability, paid time off, Aflac, flexible benefits, and legal resources. To learn more about our culture and expertise, please visit www.clarknexsen.com.
We seek to hire a Senior Bridge Engineer (PE) in our Virginia Beach, VA office who will be responsible for performing and directing structural engineering duties on bridge design projects of small to large scope.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing structural engineering duties as a Senior Bridge Engineer including analysis and design involving Primary, Secondary and Interstate systems; , supervising and directing the work of bridge engineers and EI/EITs assigned to the project; coordination with other design disciplines; managing the production of contract documents; and satisfying project budget and schedule requirements
- Concurrently leading several projects of moderate complexity and scope when required by schedule and/or resource constraints
- Meeting with clients to prepare and/or validate proposed scope of services
- Preparing fee proposals for proposed bridge design projects
- Managing the structural portion of multi-discipline transportation projects and working with assigned Project Managers to meet project budget, schedule, goals, and objectives
- Coordinating, supervising, and communicating all aspects of the structural design within multi-discipline teams and/or Design-Build Contractors to ensure that structural design details integrate properly with all other disciplines
- Managing and supervising structural support services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings
- Performing and supervising load ratings and bridge rehabilitation/repair design under full knowledge and guidance of the AASHTO Manual for Bridge Evaluation
- Ensuring staff compliance with quality control practices and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Managing Principals, the Department Head, , Project Managers, Design Managers, and/or senior management
- Assisting in presenting projects to clients, contractors, project team members, authorities having jurisdiction, and members of the public through all stages of the project
- Actively supporting Company marketing and business development activities
- Establishing and maintaining positive client relationships
- Providing technical guidance to bridge staff
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of bridge staff
- Assisting Department Head in developing new and/or revised processes and procedures
- Representing the Department Head when he/she is unavailable
- Leading staff training sessions
- Providing input to Department Head on staff annual performance reviews
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing Project Manager duties as assigned
- Serving as Design Manager duties as assigned
- Responsibility for discipline design and documentation
- Developing bridge design approach and methodology
- Preparing bridge type, size, and location (TS&L) studies.
- Identifying and solving design and construction challenges
- Developing bridge design project plan and production methodology
- Preparing accurate, complete, and code-compliant structural drawings and specifications for schematic, design development, and construction document submittals
- Reviewing calculations and all work products produced by bridge engineers and bridge EI/EITs assigned to the project, particularly analysis and design assumptions and input data, output results, and boundary conditions for analytical models
- Reviewing all drawings produced by bridge technicians assigned to the project
- Preparing scope and fee proposals for bridge related portions of multi-discipline transportation projects or single-discipline, bridge-only projects
- Assisting Managing Principal and Project Manager in development of project proposals, budgets, and schedules
- Performing discipline QA/QC reviews on assigned projects
- Reviewing and approving discipline specifications and project code analysis
- Responding to RFIs, review comments, etc.
- Leading discipline bidding and construction administration activities
- Back-checking discipline QC review comments
- Monitoring and adhering to project budget and schedule
- Graduation from an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-year engineering program in one of the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering (structural emphasis)
- Civil and Environmental Engineering (structural emphasis)
- Civil Engineering Technology (structural emphasis)
- Masters degree in Civil or Structural Engineering is preferred
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must be a fully licensed Professional Engineer (PE) or Structural Engineer (SE) in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction or be eligible for reciprocity with the local jurisdiction
- Active participation in NSPE, ASCE, ASHE, NCSEA or other related professional organizations is desirable
- Qualified to be a Bridge Safety Inspection Team Leader in accordance with NBIS requirements is desirable.
A Senior Bridge Engineer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
Working familiarity with analysis, design and production software to a point of being able to understand the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with the support staff in their use of the software is highly desirable. Examples include, but are not limited to, Microstation, GeoPak, LEAP Bridge Enterprise, MDX, DESCUS I and II, AASHTOWare Bridge, and other finite element modeling.
A minimum of 8 – 10 years of A/E consulting experience as a Lead Bridge Engineer with strong technical, written and verbal communication skills.
Significant design experience in both new bridge design and bridge repair/rehabilitation design. Experience in design of bridges with complex geometry is desirable. Experience with bridges on all three road systems (Primary, Secondary and Interstate systems) is preferred.
Experience with all four major structural materials (concrete, prestressed concrete, structural steel, and wood) and their respective material codes, as well as with the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications and the AASHTO Standard Specifications for Highway Bridges is desirable.
Experience as a lead Bridge Engineer in federal, state, and municipal projects plus experience in Design/Build and P3 project delivery methods is preferred. Previous experience with VDOT projects may be given additional consideration.
Prior experience performing NBIS bridge safety inspections is desirable.
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents and correspondence
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Possess strong industry contacts and be able to converse well and network with other members of the bridge engineering and transportation community
- Have a client-oriented attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Be dedicated to the advancement of the engineering profession
- Possess demonstrated ability to lead by example, teaching and mentoring younger staff and working well with others in a team environment