|Title:||Fire Protection Engineer PE|
|Job Location:||Virginia Beach, VA; Vienna, VA; or Raleigh, NC|
|Department:||Fire Protection Engineering|
Position Open: May 6, 2021
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through website at www.clarknexsen.com.
When you come to work for Clark Nexsen, you’ll experience a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment where big thinking is encouraged. We are a national, integrated architecture and engineering firm, but we believe that our role in making the world better isn’t limited to design. Our vision and values drive our culture, our work, and our commitment to giving back to our communities through volunteerism and charitable giving.
With 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas, our people shape the future by discovering opportunities to transform the way we live in and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performing projects for U.S. and global clients.
We offer generous compensation and benefits, including health, dental, vision, 401k, short and long term disability, paid time off, Aflac, flexible benefits, and legal resources. To learn more about our culture and expertise, please visit www.clarknexsen.com.
We seek to hire a Fire Protection Engineer PE in our Virginia Beach, VA, Vienna, VA or Raleigh, NC offices who will be responsible for performing multiple aspects of fire protection engineering services on multi-discipline building design projects of small to large scope for commercial and government facilities, as well as single discipline fire protection engineering projects of small to large scope.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing all aspects of fire protection design services including conceptual studies, programming, schematic documents, design development documents, and construction documents under the direct supervision of a Senior Fire Protection Engineer or the Department Director
- Working on a multi-discipline design team
- Meeting with clients to prepare and validate scope of work
- Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
- Obtain guidance from Senior Fire Protection Engineer and the Department Director as necessary to resolve technical and coordination issues and conflicting criteria
- Direct and supervise the work of support staff assigned to the project, particularly where unusual or difficult problems are encountered
- Performing fire protection services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments and opening and tabulating bids as directed
- Performing fire protection services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings
- Complying with the company’s quality control practices and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from the Department Director, Managing Principals, Project Managers, Design Managers, Operations Directors and senior management
- Working with a multi-discipline team of architects, engineers, interior designers and landscape architects
- Participating in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Directing, supervising and training junior fire protection staff as directed
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of junior fire protection staff
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform Senior Fire Protection Engineer tasks as directed
- Serve in the role of Design Manager on projects as assigned
- Preparing scope and fee proposals for the fire protection portion of multi-discipline projects or single-discipline, fire protection-only projects
- Conduct project code analysis for review by a Senior Fire Protection Engineer or the Department Director
- Selection and layout of the fire protection systems, including consideration of alternative systems
- Preparing accurate, complete, and code-compliant drawings and specifications for schematic, design development, and construction document submittals.
- Developing details of building system components
- Reviewing calculations and all work products produced by fire protection EIT’s, graduates, or designers assigned to the project
- Reviewing all drawings produced by CADD technicians assigned to the project
- Developing discipline specifications for review by a Senior Fire Protection Engineer or the Department Director
- Coordinate drawings with technical specifications
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines
- Incorporate responses to QC and Gray Team comments into the project documents
- Assist in responding to RFI’s, Dr. Check comments, etc.
- Review and respond to CA submittals
- Perform discipline QA/QC review on assigned projects
- Adhere to discipline budget and schedule
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Protection Engineering from an ABET accredited curriculum or a post-graduate degree in Fire Protection Engineering is preferred
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must be a fully licensed Fire Protection Engineer in at least one US state or jurisdiction, preferably in the local jurisdiction, by passing the Fire Protection Engineering written examination
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices with LEED AP accreditation desirable
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever-increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process
- Active participation in NSPE, SFPE, NFPA or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Fire Protection Engineer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
Working familiarity with design/production and fire protection analysis software to a point of being able to understand the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with the support staff in their use of the software is highly desirable.
A Fire Protection Engineer should typically have 4 years or more of significant design and practice experience in a leadership role with an Engineering firm, contractor, government agency, or a multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm with substantial knowledge of applicable fire protection and life safety codes and standards.
Experience as a lead designer or Fire Protection Engineer in federal, state, municipal, healthcare, commercial, higher education or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
- Possess technical precision and creative design skills
- Ability to make effective presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole