|Title:||Senior Electrical Engineer PE|
|Job Location:||Macon, GA; Virginia Beach, VA; Charlotte, NC; or Raleigh, NC|
Position Open: May 26, 2021
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through website at www.clarknexsen.com.
When you come to work for Clark Nexsen, you’ll experience a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment where big thinking is encouraged. We are a national, integrated architecture and engineering firm, but we believe that our role in making the world better isn’t limited to design. Our vision and values drive our culture, our work, and our commitment to giving back to our communities through volunteerism and charitable giving.
With 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas, our people shape the future by discovering opportunities to transform the way we live in and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performing projects for U.S. and global clients.
We offer generous compensation and benefits, including health, dental, vision, 401k, short and long term disability, paid time off, Aflac, flexible benefits, and legal resources. To learn more about our culture and expertise, please visit www.clarknexsen.com.
We seek to hire a Senior Electrical Engineer PE in our Virginia Beach, VA; Raleigh, NC; Charlotte, NC; or Macon, GA offices who will be will be responsible for performing, directing, and supervising all aspects of electrical engineering on multi-discipline building design projects of moderate to large scope for commercial and government facilities.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing all aspects of electrical engineering design (specifically power distribution) as a senior or lead engineer, including Conceptual Studies, Program Requirements, Design Analyses, Calculations, Equipment selection and layout, and System selection and layout for building design and site electrical utilities
- Meeting with clients to prepare and/or validate proposed scope of work for building design electrical engineering services
- Providing oversight and coordination of electrical engineering projects and the electrical engineering portion of multi-discipline projects, and working with assigned Project Managers to meet client’s budget, contract fees, goals, objectives, and deadlines
- Coordinating, supervising, and communicating all aspects of electrical design within multi-disciplinary teams to ensure that electrical design details integrate properly with all other disciplines represented on the design team
- Directing, supervising, training, and ensuring quality control of junior electrical engineers, EIT’s, and designers
- Ensuring staff compliance with quality control policies and procedures and providing electrical engineering QC reviews for other engineers and designers.
- Preparing and supervising the preparation of accurate and complete electrical project programming, schematic designs, design development designs, and construction documents.
- Performing and supervising electrical engineering support services during the bidding process, such as preparing addenda, amendments, and responding to RFI’s.
- Performing and directing electrical engineering construction phase services including representing the firm on-site, answering RFI’s, reviewing shop drawings and preparing record drawings, etc.
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Project Managers, Design Managers, Managing Principals, Department Directors, and senior management
- Working independently with limited direction, but collaboratively with other engineers and designers
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of junior electrical engineering staff
- Assist in presenting projects to clients, contractors, project team members, AHJ’s, and members of the public through all stages of the project
- Actively support Company marketing and business development activities
- Establish and maintain positive client relationships
- Provide technical guidance to mechanical staff
- Assisting Department Director and Department Head in developing new and/or revised processes and procedures
- Representing the Department Head (DH) when the DH is unavailable
- Leading staff training sessions
- Providing input to Department Head on staff annual performance reviews
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing Project Manager duties as assigned
- Serve in the role of Design Manager on projects as assigned
- Responsible for discipline design and documentation of building electrical systems
- Develop discipline design approach and methodology
- Develop discipline project plan and production methodology
- Preparing accurate, complete, and code-compliant electrical drawings and specifications for schematic, design development, and construction document submittals.
- Reviewing calculations and work products produced by electrical engineers and electrical EIT’s assigned to the project
- Reviewing drawings produced by technicians assigned to the project
- Preparing scope and fee proposals for the electrical portion of multi-discipline projects or single-discipline, electrical-only projects
- Assist MP and PM in development of project proposals, budgets & schedules
- Perform discipline QA/QC reviews on assigned projects
- Review and approve discipline code analysis
- Develop discipline specifications
- Respond to RFI’s, Dr Check comments, etc.
- Back-check discipline QC/Gray Team comments
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
- Graduate of an ABET-accredited 4 or 5-year engineering program in one of the following disciplines:
- Electrical Engineering (Building design or power distribution focus)
- Electrical Engineering Technology (Building design or power distribution focus)
- Architectural Engineering (Electrical Engineering focus)
- Architectural Engineering Technology (Electrical Engineering focus)
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must be a fully licensed Professional Engineer in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices with LEED AP accreditation preferred
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Registered Communication Distribution Designer (RCDD), or Certified Lighting Efficiency Professional (CLEP), certifications are desirable
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process
- Active participation in IEEE, IES or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Senior Electrical Engineer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to understand the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with the support staff in their use of the software is highly desirable.
A Senior Electrical Engineer should typically have 10 years or more of significant design and practice experience in a leadership role with a Electrical Engineering firm or a multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm with substantial knowledge of applicable energy codes and standards.
Strong experience in the design of building power distribution, lighting, communications and security systems is desirable.
Experience as a lead designer or Electrical Engineer in federal, state, municipal, healthcare, commercial, higher education or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups up to and including large public meetings
- Have a can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Be dedicated to the advancement of the engineering profession
- Possess demonstrated ability to lead by example, teaching and mentoring younger staff and working well with others in a team environment