|Title:||Bridge Engineering Student|
|Job Location:||Roanoke, VA|
Position Open: February 6, 2020
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
We seek to hire a Bridge Engineering Student in our Roanoke, VA office beginning in Summer 2020 who will perform various tasks within the bridge department that may entail special project assignments and/or active involvement in bridge safety inspection projects.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Participate in field inspections to include bridge safety inspections and structural condition assessments, and prepare bridge safety inspection reports
- Working closely with bridge engineers to develop a thorough understanding of the fundamentals of structural behavior
- Performing basic-level tasks associated with the calculation of bridge live load ratings under the direction of licensed bridge engineers
- Performing various aspects of bridge design as directed by a licensed bridge engineer including conceptual studies, program requirements, design analyses, calculations, systems selection and layout for bridge design
- Complying with quality control policies and procedures
- Learn and implement department and company standards
- Develop analysis and design skills
- Participating in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Project Managers, Design Managers, Senior Engineers, Engineers
Currently enrolled as a full-time student in an ABET accredited program and have completed at least their first year of study in one of the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering (structural emphasis)
- Civil and Environmental Engineering (structural emphasis)
- Civil Engineering Technology (structural emphasis)
Should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software including but not limited to Microsoft Excel and Access, AASHTOWare BrR, and Microstation, to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
One previous engineering internship or have relevant work experience is preferred
- Ability to arrange housing for the period of employment
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
- Possess technical precision and creative design skills
- Display abilities to work well with others in a team environment