|Title:||Senior Transportation Designer|
|Job Location:||Virginia Beach, VA|
Position Open: October 8, 2021
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through website at www.clarknexsen.com.
When you come to work for Clark Nexsen, you’ll experience a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment where imaginative thinking is encouraged and supported. We are a national, transdisciplinary architecture, engineering, and consulting firm, but we believe that our role in making the world better is not limited to design. Our vision and values drive our culture, our work, and our commitment to giving back to our communities through volunteerism and charitable giving.
With 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas, our people shape the future by discovering opportunities to transform the way we live in and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performing projects for U.S. and global clients.
We offer generous compensation and benefits, including health, dental, vision, 401k, short and long term disability, paid time off, Aflac, flexible benefits, and legal resources. To learn more about our culture and expertise, please visit www.clarknexsen.com.
We seek to hire a Senior Transportation Designer in our Virginia Beach, VA office who will perform transportation engineering analysis and design tasks and be responsible for the preparation and coordination of transportation construction documents on single and multi-discipline projects of moderate to large scope while working under the supervision and guidance of the licensed Engineer (PE) leading the project.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing various design services as a senior designer, including conceptual studies, design analyses, calculations, and design involving interstates and interchanges, urban roadways and bridges, site grading, stormwater management, erosion control, traffic control, and site plan preparation with minimal direction from supervising staff.
- Providing oversight and coordination of projects, and working with assigned design managers and project managers, to meet client’s budget, contract fees, goals, objectives, and deadlines.
- Estimating plan quantities and project costs.
- Coordinating and communicating all aspects of transportation design within multi-disciplinary teams as requested by the Senior Engineer or design manager
- Supervising and mentoring EI/EIT’s, other designers, and CAD technicians.
- Complying with and assist in execution of quality control policies and procedures.
- Assist in the development, verification and compilation of project specifications and project bid documents.
- Providing support services during the bidding process, i.e., preparing addenda, amendments, open bids, tabulate bids, etc. as directed.
- Performing construction phase services including answering RFI’s, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings as directed.
- Assist with and perform site visits and safety studies as projects require.
- Performing other responsibilities as assigned by the senior engineer, design manager, project managers, principals, and senior management.
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform Engineer or Senior Engineer tasks as directed
- Responsible for document organization and clarity
- Responsible for discipline drawing coordination
- Develop design recommendations regarding project layout/ roadway design, traffic control devices, traffic management, Intelligent Transportation Systems, stormwater design, and designs for utility conflict avoidance.
- Create transportation plans and details for approval by the Project Engineer.
- Develop an accurate design concept layout/ model in the civil design software chosen for the project (i.e. MicroStation GEOPAK and/ or AutoCAD Civil 3D)
- Develop accurate project plan sets clearly depicting all information required by the client for the successful construction of the project.
- Develop plan quantities and costs
- Participate in editing and verification of specifications
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
- Have earned a high school diploma, or equivalent, and completed coursework in AutoCAD, Microstation, and/or BIM software packages from a technical or vocational school; or
- An Associate’s Degree in a field of study related to drafting and design; or
- A Certificate in a field of study related to drafting and design; or
- A four-year undergraduate degree in a field of study related to drafting and design
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Current DOT Certification in Advanced Work Zone Traffic Control is desirable.
- Applicable Autodesk/ Bentley certifications are desirable
- Active membership in drafting or modeling-related organizations (local or web-based) is desirable
- Current DOT certifications in Guardrail Installation, Replacement, and Repair (GRIT) is desirable.
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices and pursuing Envision Specialist (ENV SP) accreditation is desirable
A Senior Transportation Designer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is required. Applicants must have intimate knowledge of following software products:
- MicroStation V8i
- AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Microsoft Office 2013 productivity suite
Applicants must have a working understanding of the following software products:
- MicroStation GEOPAK ROAD
- MicroStation GEOPAK Traffic
A Senior Transportation Designer should typically have 12 years or more of relevant experience as a Transportation CAD technician with demonstrable proficiency with AutoCAD and/or Bentley MicroStation software packages. This individual should have a comprehensive understanding of transportation industry construction plan production from conceptual engineering phases, all the way through bidding and procurement. Experience in federal, state, municipal, or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents and correspondence.
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups.
- Have a can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole.