|Title:||Bridge Inspection Engineer Graduate or EIT|
|Job Location:||Virginia Beach, VA|
Position Open: October 7, 2021
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through website at www.clarknexsen.com.
When you come to work for Clark Nexsen, you’ll experience a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment where imaginative thinking is encouraged and supported. We are a national, transdisciplinary architecture, engineering, and consulting firm, but we believe that our role in making the world better is not limited to design. Our vision and values drive our culture, our work, and our commitment to giving back to our communities through volunteerism and charitable giving.
With 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas, our people shape the future by discovering opportunities to transform the way we live in and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performing projects for U.S. and global clients.
We offer generous compensation and benefits, including health, dental, vision, 401k, short and long term disability, paid time off, Aflac, flexible benefits, and legal resources. To learn more about our culture and expertise, please visit www.clarknexsen.com.
We seek to hire a Bridge Inspection Engineer Graduate or EIT in our Virginia Beach, VA office who will be responsible for assisting in various aspects of a bridge safety inspection project while working under the close supervision and guidance of a licensed bridge engineer. Typical responsibilities include assisting in field inspections to include bridge safety inspections and structural condition assessments and preparing bridge safety inspection reports. May be required to perform bridge safety inspection team leader duties as assigned which include the planning and organization of a bridge safety inspection or a group of bridge safety inspections, the performance and completion of said inspections, the coordination and field liaison of various access equipment and maintenance of traffic providers as well as the owner/agency as appropriate, and the completion of the bridge safety inspection report.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Serving as an Assistant or Inspection Team Leader for NBI bridge safety inspections
- Writing bridge safety inspection reports or reviewing inspection reports written by other engineers/inspectors
- Supervising and directing the work of inspectors and CADD technicians as appropriate
- Perform or assist in the development and calculation of bridge live load ratings
- Office and field coordination with vendors, subconsultants, and owners/agencies as appropriate
- Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
- Obtain guidance from Senior Bridge Engineers and the Department Head as necessary to resolve technical and coordination issues and conflicting criteria
- Complying with the company’s quality control practices and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from the Managing Principals, Project Managers, Operations Directors, and senior management
- Participate in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of junior bridge inspection staff
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform bridge safety inspection tasks as directed
- Serve in the role of Bridge Inspection Team Leader on projects as assigned
- Preparing or assisting in preparation of scope and fee proposals for bridge safety inspection projects
- Preparing accurate and complete bridge safety inspection reports for project submittals
- Reviewing calculations and all work products produced by inspectors assigned to the project as appropriate
- Reviewing all work products produced by support staff assigned to the project
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines, as appropriate
- Adhere to project, department, and corporate QA/QC procedures as appropriate
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
Essential Abilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Travel an average of 50% of the time
- Work may involve times outside normal working hours and on weekends
- Work outdoors with varying terrain and all types of weather
- Stand, walk, and climb for 8+ hours a day
- Be able to lift 50-60 lbs and operate bridge safety inspection equipment
- Be able to work at heights, over water, and in confined spaces
Bachelor’s Degree from an ABET-accredited college or university in one of the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering (structural emphasis)
- Civil and Environmental Engineering (structural emphasis)
- Civil Engineering Technology (structural emphasis)
Candidates who will graduate by January 1, 2022 are eligible to apply for this position.
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Successful completion of NHI Course #130055 Safety Inspection of In-Service Bridges is desirable
- Completed or be in a position to complete the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam and all other state requirements for certification as an EI/EIT within 24 months after being hired
- Ability to complete all requirements for PE licensure within 72 months after being hired is preferred
- Active membership in NSPE, ASCE, or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Bridge Inspection Engineer Graduate should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Working familiarity with analysis, design, and production software including but not limited to Microsoft Excel and Access, AASHTOWare BrR, and Microstation, to a point of being able to
understand the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with the support staff in their use of the software is highly desirable.
- Minimum of two (2) years of bridge inspection experience is desirable
- Knowledge and familiarity of the National Bridge Inspection Standards, AASHTO Manual for Bridge Evaluation, and the Bridge Inspector’s Reference Manual
- Prior experience in the design and/or construction of bridges is desirable
- Prior experience on VDOT and/or Federal bridge inspection projects is desirable
- Successful completion of NHI Course #130053 Bridge Inspection Refresher Training, #130078 Fracture Critical Inspection Techniques for Steel Bridges, and/or #130087 Inspection and Maintenance of Ancillary Highway Structures is desirable
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents and correspondence
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a client-oriented attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Be dedicated to the advancement of the engineering profession