|Department:||Clark Nexsen Construction Services|
Position Open: April 22, 2021
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen Construction Services is the construction and general contracting subsidiary of Clark Nexsen, a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We primarily perform design build construction projects and we perform the majority of our design services with Clark Nexsen. Combined we have the experience and skills to provide a turnkey solution for our clients that provides a high level of both design and construction in an expeditious time period. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals. We work primarily in the Southeastern United States and operate our projects from our regional offices.
Our combined firms have 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas. Our people shape the future by discovering opportunities to transform the way we live in and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performing projects.
We offer generous compensation and benefits, including health, dental, vision, 401k, short and long term disability, paid time off, Aflac, flexible benefits, and legal resources. To learn more about our culture and expertise, please visit www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen Construction Services seeks to hire a Superintendent to primarily work at the jobsite of a construction project in the Madison County and Harrisonburg area (around Charlottesville, VA area). This is a temporary position, based on a contract with our client, and the duration is expected to be 4 months. The duration of this position could be extended beyond 4 months, depending on client needs and available workload. The ideal candidate will have 5-7 years' experience as an Assistant Superintendent or Superintendent in new construction with site development aspects as well as interior renovation experience.
The Superintendent is responsible for field operations on the project(s) assigned in order to achieve the safe, high quality, timely and profitable completion of the project. These tasks consist of managing subcontractors / trade craft, maintaining contracts, Contract Documents, etc.
In addition, the Superintendent will be responsible for quality control, safety, logistics and production. The Superintendent must also support the Project Manager/Project Executive in monitoring job progress on site; ensuring compliance with contract documents, the Quality Control Program and Safety protocols; developing and executing on the project plans and schedules; assisting with logistical coordination; and planning and preparing documentation to facilitate the close out process, all at the discretion of the Superintendent
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Creation of the project schedule and production rates.
- Perform detailed quantity takeoffs of Construction Documents and Interim documents and assist in estimating cost of work.
- Work with the Project Manager to set procedures for document control and perform documents control.
- Assist in development of scopes of work, bid package development and solicit subcontractors and suppliers, including review of subcontractor proposals and scope review.
- Work with the Project Executive and Project Manager in development of the Safety Plan, Quality Controls Plan, Site Logistics Plan, Project Schedule and Cost Control System.
- Field Operations:
- Coordinate subcontractor daily activities, project deliveries and craft personnel.
- Document quality and progress of each Subcontractor and Supplier.
- Perform detailed quality control checks and write the associated quality control reports.
- Participate and manage the QCM process of Preparatory, Initial and final inspections.
- Develop and manage the Re-Work List, Completion List, Pre-Final Punch List, and Punch List.
- Gain knowledge in reviewing shop drawings, project submittals, and product data sheets.
- Development of Activity Hazard Analysis and perform daily safety inspections.
- Coordinate site logistics plans and assist in management of the delivery log and check in all deliveries.
- Setting and maintaining layout control on the jobsite.
- Update the project schedule monthly, two week and four week look short interval schedules.
- Update Subcontractors and Suppliers of any changes to the plans, specifications and/or schedule.
- Assist in the completion of punch lists as necessary.
- Project Management:
- Prepare complete, accurate, and timely submittal logs for construction projects based on project drawings and specifications.
- Receive approved submittals from Architect or Engineer and notifying the Project Manager of potential schedule impact.
- Assist in completion of all required project close-out documents per contract in a timely manner
- Distribute contract documents to subcontractors, including drawings, specifications, and general conditions.
- Distribute final requirement documentation to subcontractors and bookkeeper
- Take accurate and complete meeting minutes and distribute timely
- Proactively manage project to achieve quality, schedule, budget and safety. Utilize and maintain tools: schedule and document management to track and record project performance.
Essential Abilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Travel an average of 50% of the time
- Work may involve times outside normal working hours and on weekends
- Work outdoors with varying terrain and all types of weather
- Stand, walk, and climb for 8+ hours a day
- Be able to lift up to 30 lbs and operate equipment
- Be able to work at heights, over water, and in confined spaces
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time; talk or hear; walk; sit. The employee is frequently required to reach with arms and/or hands; bend, kneel; stoop, crouch or crawl and climb (ladders and scaffolding); perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of a keyboard, telephone, or writing. The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 30 lbs. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time on the physical jobsite; in a construction trailer; and occasionally an office building. Requirements include being able to be in your feet either walking long distances or standing for long periods of time. This position is exposed to high temperatures; cool/cold temperatures; and loud noises.
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering, Architecture or Construction Management is preferred.
- A High School Diploma or GED is required.
- OSHA 10 hr certification is required
- OSHA 30 hr certification is preferred
A Superintendent should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management. Computer Software consists of Microsoft Office Suite - Excel, Word and Project Based Templates. Daily reports, timesheets, quality control reports, etc. will be done electrically by using Red Team Software
The Superintendent should have at least five years of experience in the commercial construction industry in either an Assistant Superintendent or Superintendent position. Experience in both field operations and pre-construction is desirable. Superintendent must also have experience in being a superintendent on renovation or upfit project. Additionally, the Superintendent would need to have completed a project that was governed by the North Carolina Building Code. Experience working on projects for the State of North Carolina Construction Office would be a benefit.
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
- Possess technical precision
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a client-oriented attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Possess excellent team leadership capabilities and abilities