|Title:||Resiliency Research Student|
|Job Location:||Virginia Beach, VA|
Position Open: November 28, 2016
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. AAP. Drug -free workplace. E-verify. Applicant must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Texas, and Washington, D.C. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
Clark Nexsen is offering a paid summer research fellowship to a student focusing on coastal resiliency. The research student will be afforded the opportunity to partner with local institutions such as Virginia Sea Grant, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, the Hampton Roads Regional Planning Commission, the Virginia Institute of Marine Sciences, and Old Dominion University. The purpose of this position is to encourage students to become leaders in innovative, pre-disaster, resiliency design strategies. We seek to hire a Resiliency Research Student to work in our Virginia Beach, VA office beginning summer 2017 who will engage in a special research project related to resilient design or coastal flooding adaptation strategies. The student will also be assigned to a design department relevant to their area of study and, in addition to a research project, will have active involvement in project design and documentation.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Primary focus will be identifying and engaging in a research project focusing on resiliency and coastal flooding adaptation strategies.The student will produce a final deliverable which could vary depending on the discipline of the selected candidates, e.g., architectural design, research report, design plans, etc.
- Applicants must attach to their resume a brief abstract of a concept research project within the Hampton Roads region to be completed in Summer 2017. The abstract should provide the following:
- Project Title and Name of Student
- Project Keywords
- Objectives. Summarize the objectives of the proposal, which may include the hypothesis to be tested. What with the project accomplish or determine? How will the project improve our understanding of the issue?
- Methodology. Summarize the work to be done, highlight the methods necessary for conducting the research, such as standard models or techniques to be followed, specialized equipment needed, new or previously designed techniques resulting from other projects or related research.
- Rationale. State the priorities or problems being addressed through the proposed research, including some relevant background information.
- Secondary focus of the position may include:
- Performing various aspects of discipline design as directed by a senior or lead Architect or Engineer including conceptual studies, program requirements, design analyses, calculations, systems selection and layout for building design
- Preparation of programming documents, schematic documents, design development documents, and construction documents as directed
- Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
- Performing various services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings as directed
- Complying with quality control policies and procedures
- Learn and implement department and company standards
- Develop analysis and design skills
- Participating in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Project Managers, Design Managers, Senior Architects, Senior Engineers, Architects or Engineers
- Working with a team of architects, engineers, interior designers and landscape architects
- Engineering Student - Currently enrolled as a full-time student in an ABET accredited programand have completed at least their third year of study
- Architectural Student – Currently enrolled as a full-time student in a NAAB accredited program as detailed below:
- Students who have completed at least three years in an accredited 5-year Bachelor of Architecture (B Arch) program.
- Students who have completed at least two years in an accredited Master of Architecture (M Arch) program.
- Students who have earned their BS Arch degree (or equivalent) and have been accepted to enter an accredited Master of Architecture (M Arch) program that begins no later than September 1, 2017.
- Landscape Architecture Student - Currently enrolled as a full-time student in an CLARB accredited program and completed at least their third year of study
- Urban Planning Student - Currently enrolled as a full-time student in an AICP accredited program and completed at least their third year of study
Should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Should have working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
One previous internship in your field of study or have relevant work experience is preferred
- Ability to arrange housing for the period of employment
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
- Possess technical precision and creative design skills
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment