|Title:||Senior Transportation Engineer PE|
|Job Location:||Virginia Beach, VA; Richmond, VA; or Vienna, VA|
Position Open: May 28, 2021
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through website at www.clarknexsen.com.
When you come to work for Clark Nexsen, you’ll experience a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment where big thinking is encouraged. We are a national, integrated architecture and engineering firm, but we believe that our role in making the world better isn’t limited to design. Our vision and values drive our culture, our work, and our commitment to giving back to our communities through volunteerism and charitable giving.
With 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas, our people shape the future by discovering opportunities to transform the way we live in and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performing projects for U.S. and global clients.
We offer generous compensation and benefits, including health, dental, vision, 401k, short and long term disability, paid time off, Aflac, flexible benefits, and legal resources. To learn more about our culture and expertise, please visit www.clarknexsen.com.
We seek to hire a Senior Transportation Engineer PE in our Virginia Beach, VA; Richmond, VA; or Vienna, VA offices who will be responsible for performing and directing Transportation engineering duties on multi-discipline transportation projects of moderate to large scope.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing Transportation engineering duties as a Senior Transportation Engineer including analysis and design involving interstates and interchanges, urban roadways and bridges, site grading, stormwater management, erosion control, and site plan preparation; supervising and directing the work of Transportation engineers and EI/EIT’s assigned to the project; coordination with other design disciplines; managing the production of contract documents; and satisfying project budget and schedule requirements
- Concurrently leading several projects of moderate complexity and scope when required by schedule and/or resource constraints
- Meeting with clients to prepare and/or validate proposed scope of services
- Working with assigned Project Managers to meet project budget, schedule, goals, and objectives
- Coordinating, supervising, and communicating all aspects of the Transportation design within multi-discipline teams to ensure that transportation design details integrate properly with all other disciplines
- Communication with the Contractor on Design-Build projects to verify suitability of systems and materials selected
- Managing and supervising Transportation support services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments and opening and tabulating bids
- Managing and supervising Transportation support services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings
- Ensuring staff compliance with quality control policies and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Managing Principals, Project Managers, Design Managers, Operations Directors and senior management.
- Assist in presenting projects to clients, contractors, project team members, Authorities Having Jurisdiction, and members of the public through all stages of the project
- Actively support Company marketing and business development activities
- Establish and maintain positive client relationships
- Provide technical guidance to Transportation staff
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of Transportation staff
- Leading staff training sessions
- Providing input to Department Director on staff annual performance reviews
- Performing Design Manager duties as assigned
- Responsible for discipline design and documentation
- Develop discipline design approach and methodology
- Develop discipline project plan and production methodology
- Preparing accurate, complete, and code-compliant Transportation drawings and specifications for schematic, design development, and construction document submittals.
- Reviewing calculations and all work products produced by Transportation engineers and Transportation EI/EIT’s assigned to the project, particularly analysis and design assumptions and input data, and output results
- Reviewing all drawings produced by Transportation technicians assigned to the project
- Preparing scope and fee proposals for the Transportation portion of multi-discipline projects or single-discipline, Transportation-only projects
- Assist PM in development of project proposals, budgets & schedules
- Perform discipline QA/QC reviews on assigned projects
- Review and approve discipline specifications
- Respond to RFI’s
- Lead discipline bidding and construction administration activities
- Back-check discipline QC/gray team comments
- Monitor and adhere to project budget and schedule
EducationGraduation from an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-year engineering program in one of the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Civil, Environmental and Infrastructure Engineering
- Civil Engineering Technology
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must be a fully licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction or be eligible for reciprocity with the local jurisdiction.
- Other Transportation Engineering related certifications is desirable
- DBIA (Design-Build Professional) certification may be given additional consideration.
- Active membership in ITE, ASHE, NSPE, ASCE or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Senior Transportation Engineer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to understand the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with the support staff in their use of the software is highly desirable.
A Senior Transportation Engineer PE should typically have 8 years or more of significant design and practice experience in a leadership role with a Transportation Engineering firm or a multi-discipline Architectural and Engineering firm. Significant experience with analysis and design involving interstates and interchanges, urban roadways, site grading, stormwater management, erosion control, and site plan preparation, and will have a demonstrated commitment to producing correct, complete, and coordinated construction documents.
Design Project Experience
Design experience as a lead design engineer in one or more of the following types of design projects.
- DOT Road or Traffic Projects
- Interstate and Interchange Projects
- Municipal Road or Traffic Projects
- Design Build projects
- DOD/Military transportation projects
- Projects exceeding $40 million in construction value
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents and correspondence.
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a client-oriented attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Be dedicated to the advancement of the engineering profession